Friday, January 05, 2007

In Latvian--whatever soon means

This is a note to all my readers in Latvia, especially those whose mother tongue is Latvian. LETA will be launching my Latvian language blog on telecoms, IT & technology "soon" --whatever that means. The blog will probably be about a lot of the same stuff as here, perhaps more politely phrased, since it is a publication of a reputable news agency and not the personal rants of a journalist, a profession that has been called disreputable :). Nonetheless, in one of the many test posts I wrote while LETA was still f**king around with how the blog would look, I call the Latvian government "billy-goats" (āži), which loses something in the translation (just don't call anyone an āzis in Latvia, trust me... that's pronounced aah-zis. One exception to my suggestion--at your own risk-- the way many Latvians drive, you can give someone who cuts you off the finger and shout āzi! at him or kaza at a her -- whuch means goat and brings me to remember the non-diacritical spelling of my last name that appears in everything I write for foreign media :) ) .
Please, let me know if that link is working (open to the general public) yet. Whatever I have written here, I hope it doesn't cause any road rage fights...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say it is working at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Your LETA blog is working. Still there are some spelling mistakes, like "Apple Macintosh ... fāns"!

The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegroove said...

Yep, blog working. Make sure You run the posts through an editor that will check for spelling mistakes :)
P.S. Avoid writing on technical subjects, You'll (as most of people, me including) will make mistakes and be blamed for that and called incompetent. Just write about the politics and business. Your rants are awesome

Juris Kaža said...

Thanks. I am now writing the Latvian stuff with Word and the Tilde spellchecker. So no more (or much fewer) spelling mistakes :)

Ingus Sturmanis said...

it's great that Latvia will have more local content on telecoms and hope, that more and more people will involve in discussions. It's a good move for news agency Leta to create blogs as well. A good new year start for the media market development in Latvia.