Monday, November 17, 2008

Yahoo! degrades to garbage level service

If I had not been in the US, then back in Latvia experiencing the same problems, I wouldn't write this so harshly. My primary e-mail for general purpose communications, Yahoo!, has been regularly down for a variety of error codes, 5, 15, and of late, 999.
In the US, I attempted to access my e-mail through Verizon DSL (at my mother's house), then through Comcast at my brother's house and now through Lattelecom DSL in Riga. Yet again, I see code 999. Complaining repeatedly to Yahoo doesn't help. I use a brand new aluminum Macbook, and Macs have little or no malware or viruses. Also, to register a complain requires one to decipher extremely twisted and obscure combinations of letters and numerals, designed not so much as to deter automated use of the site as to simply prevent ordinary users from bothering them.
I am just curious whether anyone else is experiencing this, what appears to, global deterioration of Yahoo service. I have been paying some USD 19.95 annual fee for a higher level of service. I also wonder if anyone has a migration strategy for moving all of one's Yahoo contacts and automatically forwarding Yahoo mail to a site that isn't f**ked half the time, like Gmail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Verizon DSL service is unusually slow, at least on the East Coast of the U.S. today, Nov. 17. I am in-touch with a number of VZ DSL-using clients and the issue seems to be widespread. As is typical for Verizon, they are admitting nothing. A friend who run part of the Internet backbone near here tells me the Internet in general is running normally.

Anonymous said...

gmail also experiences the same problems... unfortunately...

http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/gmail_error_oops_the_system